Saturday, April 9, 2011

It's a Wrap!

One of our nephews and his wife are expecting their first baby.  I procrastinated because I couldn't decide what to make.  I saw this pattern and knew I had yarn in my stash that would work.  With the deadline due date looming, I cast on last Sunday and bound off the last stitch yesterday.  Washed and blocked it today.  I beat the due date (4/10/11) and the baby :)


I broke my own rule of not-knitting-blankets because this one doesn't look like your typical handmade baby blankie, and I figured 36 inches in diameter~~piece of cake.  I tried reminding myself of that when I had 500+ stitches on the needles, lol!  And I hope the parents don't mind that I opted out of the traditional baby blue (they're having a boy, in case you're wondering about my odd color choice.)  I really like the green/navy/black...seems so "boy" to  me.   



Pinwheel Blanket by Genia Planck
Knitalong
needles:  size 8
yarn:  Lion Brand Wool-Ease,
color:  Pines
4.5 skeins:  162yds/70g
finished size:  38" diameter (measured point to point)

modifications:  5 rows garter stitch for edging instead of seed stitch

28 comments:

Nancy said...

You knitted a gorgeous baby blanket Staci, and I'm sure the parents will be thrilled! I love the color choice - I love anything unique!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely design - very unusual and pretty.

lily said...

HI Staci, it's refreshing to move away from typical baby colours, the blanket looks lovely, soft and squidgy.
lily x

JelliDonut said...

I love that blanket pattern! It's fun to knit and not the usual kind of baby thing. I'm sure they'll love it!

Annie said...

Beautiful blanket and a great choice for a baby boy. That will be a very special gift.

Sharon said...

It's gorgeous Staci! Great color.

Blu said...

What a gorgeous blanket! The colour is lovely and I'm sure the parents are delighted.

Theresa said...

This will make a very cool baby blanket!!

Michele said...

it's a great baby blanket! They will love it :)

Kate said...

Gorgeous design and knitting - I'm sure it will be treasured.

Siobhan said...

Staci, that is SO pretty! I think the color is much better than the traditional baby blue. Lovely work.

Carol said...

I like the color and design of your blanket so much more than the typical light blue baby blankets... He'll be a very handsome baby wrapped up in your gift, that's for sure :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Gorgeous and I'm sure they'll love it despite it not being traditional baby blue! Nothing HAS to be traditional!

Tanya said...

Beautiful, Staci. What a lovely gift - the color is perfect.

Tanya

Bekca said...

What a gorgeous gift for the new baby! I love it.

Hazel said...

Lovely. Perfect for a boy. x

Ginny said...

I think this is a very cool pattern choice and color for a baby blanket. It looks so awesome and I may have to look this pattern up to make in the future. It turned out fabulous!

Ranae said...

Your pinwheel blanket turned out great for baby gift

Annemarie said...

Wooooo-hoo, what a gorgeous blanket! Lucky baby! Lucky parents! Clever you!

Julie said...

A beautiful gift for a new life

Melanie said...

Love it! I can't believe you finished it that quickly. YOur fingers must have been FLYING. lol

Elisa said...

That is so pretty...

Virginia said...

So pretty! Love the pattern and the color.

Sally said...

What a lovely blanket Staci. The colour makes a nice change to the pastel colours people usually use.

NOSTROMO said...

Oh! It's so sweet! I fell in love with this work! You have a very interesting blog and original ideas, bravo! Get your follower and welcome to my blog: http://fullmoontheedgeofthesoul.blogspot.com/

Lois said...

It's lovely! Such a nice shape.

Silvia said...

Beautiful blog and wonderful work.
Silvia

cpeezers said...

Your blanket is beautiful. I knitted this once. I got way into it and then I messed it up. I didn't have the skills to get the yarnovers repaired right as I tinked back so I had to frog it. I made it with a bulky weight yarn and you should have seen (heard)me wrangle 4 size 10 dpns when I was getting started with like 6 or 8 stitches in the beginning? :) Anyway all that to say your blanket is beautiful!