Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Always Socks

Hello Dear Friends!

I've really been feeling the cold this winter. Especially my feet. I've even taken to wearing thin cotton anklets inside my wool socks. At this point, pretty yarn turning into warm socks and hot drinks is the only thing getting me through the season. My love affair with the beauty of winter is pretty thin on the ground by February. I've had enough ice and snow and salt and sand...sadly, they're houseguests that just won't leave. So there's nothing else for it. I Must Knit More Socks. They make me happy...and warm.
 
Gazebo
pattern: plain vanilla socks
yarn: Berroco Boboli Lace

 
Rye
pattern: Rye by tincanknits
yarn: Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Superwash Worsted

My current socks in progress are a shameless copy of these. I thought they could be my Valentine's socks. But they won't be done in time because I didn't start them till Monday night, and at 9stitches/inch, they're not very fast. And then there's the intarsia heart. Have I ever mentioned how I dislike knitting intarsia (or fair isle?) I think they're gorgeous and I envy people who churn out colorful knits. But, I struggle. The stitches are wonky and the yarns tangle. And I find myself frustrated and pulling out my hair and yarn. Not pretty. But yet, there is a wonky little heart on the heel, and I hope that it all evens out in the blocking. I suppose I could have done it in duplicate stitch, but not sure I was using all my brain cells when I started this sock. Because, if I had been using my brain cells properly, I would have knit the cuff in red to ensure that I would have enough gray yarn for both socks.

 
Well dear friends, that does it for me. I'm off to see what the Olympic events are tonight and knit. Maybe I'll have one Valentine sock by Friday :)

14 comments:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

I knit socks last year for my husband in grey and then knit a red heart and sewed it on, they turned out pretty cute.
Enjoy knitting and watching the Olympics, I've been doing the same thing.

Terry said...

The heart on the heel is adorable.

Lois said...

Love the socks Staci and that heart doesn't look wonky at all, I say it's cute! Lovely to see you back in blogging land!!!!

Annie said...

We had a giant (for us) snowfall last night so those socks look pretty inviting! "Heart in hand" turns into "heart on heel", huh?

Spring just has to come sometime, doesn't it?

Melody said...

The socks with the heart are so cute! I need to learn how to knit better and try some socks...one of these days...

Clare-Aimetu said...

Gorgeous socks - nothing beats having cosy feet :)

Angela said...

I just started knitting just before Christmas and I am really enjoying it. I'd love to be able to knit socks one day so I love to look and see what you are finishing for inspiration :) The valentine socks look lovely.

Carol said...

Oh, how pretty! I'm allergic to wool so I could never knit with it, but I sure enjoy seeing your lovely creations, Stacy... Good luck with the heart socks--they are adorable :)

Jennifer said...

Love, love, love the socks. I've been off of knitting for a while and just got back to it yesterday with a little pair of children's socks. Oh, how I've missed knitting socks.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What a great way to fill the frigid days of winter. Love the little heart toes!!

Sally said...

That heart looks anything but wonky! It looks beautiful to me!! Such cute socks too!

Julie said...

The heart looks lovely, here's to warm cosy tootsies....and an end to winter!

ms.tee.kay said...

oh how I HEART that HEART! such a beautiful idea!

Unknown said...

Hello! Thank you for adding me on ravelry, I'm in LOVE with all your socks! I'm addicted to knitting (and wearing) socks too :)
Stay warm!
Veronica